Ten top tips to support yourself through infertility
For many women who face problems conceiving, the joy of motherhood is a distant dream away. So, if you’re finding it difficult to start a family take a look at our top ten tips to help support yourself through infertility and fertility treatment.
- Realise the enormity of infertility and the need to treat yourself well.
- See yourself as a whole individual and do everything you can to support that view.
- Build the best support team that you can on every level, practically and emotionally.
- Support your relationship not just as a part of your fertility journey. Don’t lose sight of your partner.
- As far as you are able, don’t put your life on hold. Infertility can affect every area of your life but try to keep hold of the other parts of your life too.
- Take care of yourself physically. Eat well, take relaxation classes and get plenty of sleep.
- Allow people to help you in ways that actually help. Often people may need to know what it is you need and how best to support you, don’t assume they will know!
- Pursue the things that will bring you joy, laughter and comfort on a daily basis. Be proactive and remember that laughter is medicinal - it's good for the immune system.
- Find ways to remember you are not alone on the journey to parenthood. Chat rooms and support groups can all be a huge relief.
- Find ways to get the emotions out safely. Writing a diary is a great place to start, as is a good counsellor, coach or mentor.
If you feel you are in need of more support during your infertility journey, the LWC runs monthly support groups for LWC patients and non-patients to share experiences and provide peer-to-peer support. Counselling is also available before, during and following treatment.
For more information on how we can support you through infertility, please visit our dedicated Support Hub.